Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Hasidic wisdom

On a very disappointing day, i was please to see this sent to me by a friend.  a (non-church-related) i belong has just disappointed me once again.  This helped a bit:

May 12

The community of the living is the carriage of the Lord.

 – Hasidic proverb

Where there is so little love that “the carriage of the Lord,” our essential unity, is torn asunder, we must love more. The less love there is around us, the more we need to love to make up the lack.

A man once came to Rabbi Israel, the Ba’al Shem Tov, and said, “My son is estranged from God; what shall I do?” The rabbi replied simply, “Love him more.”

Love him more. Make his happiness more important than your own. This was my grandmother’s approach to every problem, and I know of no more effective or artistic or satisfying way to realize the unity of life in the world today. It is an approach to life in which everything blossoms, everything comes to fruition. Where there is love, everything follows. To love is to know, is to act; all other paths to Self-realization are united in the way of love.

Posted via email from drben54's posterous

No comments: