Monday, August 1, 2011

10 years

10 years

Last Saturday, I stood before several hundred people at Stanford University to speak about my experience as a 10-year survivor of a Bone Marrow / Stem Cell Transplant I received there.  Almost 100 BMT caregivers were there, 300 other survivors and many families.  About 10 of us gave short remarks all of which were received well by the audience, some with standing applause.

I was going to put the text of my speech in this space, but two events changed my mind.

First I was informed that yet another member of my church is dying of a late-diagnosed aggressive cancer   that makes two this spring.
Reading my email further, I found out that a friend, in remission for 5 years had her cancer screening last week and received the dreaded “It may be nothing, but…” message from her Doctor.  She goes in for another scan and more tests tomorrow.  Suffice to say she is frightened beyond words.

So, I cannot rest on the laurels of my recovery and those others at Stanford – yet.  We’ve won our battle but the war against this disease, which now affects 1 out of 3 Americans, is not over.   With prayers and good thoughts for my friend and for the other man and his family, I need to go back – into the breach.

I pray for comfort for the one man and his family, and healing of fear and for a good report for my friend tomorrow.  As I visit patients as a Chaplain this month, I will do the same.

We are getting closer to a cure with more effective treatments and higher survival rates. The war against cancer is one we will win, indeed we must win.   We have no other choice!

Posted via email from drben54's posterous

No comments: